Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Literal (little) Mind

One of my good friends serves our country. At times his duty calls and he must go. Soon, "go" will mean a deployment and many months of separation from his family. He and his wife tried to explain that to their 4-year-old. You know, 4! That age when a little one is just understanding the meaning of "Daddy will be gone a long time."

"Why, daddy? I don't want you to go!"

"Because, son, it's my duty."

"What's duty, daddy?"

"Well, son, that means it's my job and I have to go."

"But (whimpering) daddy, I don't WANT you to go!"

"Son, if daddy doesn't go, I would have to go to jail."

Daddy told his son the truth, but there's one problem...

...a 4-year-old is now telling people that his daddy is going to jail.

And he will be gone a looooong time!

3 comments:

CHEWBARKA said...

Out of the mouths of babes...
Whoever this is, I THANK HIM and his family for their Service.

Michelle Vielbig said...

OOPS....sounds like something my son would say!! He already is telling people I can't get a job because I am his mom.....Love little people~!

Unknown said...

Yes, kids DO say the darndest things. :)