Saturday, December 6, 2008

Iiiiiit's Saturday

Since several of you have joined me the past few days, here's a bit about what I try to do schedule-wise. I do my best to post fresh material (even fun stuff like yesterday) on Sunday through Friday.

That's because I prefer Saturday In The Park -- or working in the yard. Or putting up Christmas decorations since we were gone last week. Sooo, I try to share one of my previous posts that most of you haven't read. It gives me a break and brings some of you along on a bit of my journey.

Entitled Mending Fences, this was one of my very first blogs...

Preaching three times on Sunday morning is mentally and physically taxing. By the time I arrive home, I wonder if my brain is mush or spaghetti. Fortunately, Cathy has lunch pretty much ready to go after my quick change of clothes. My custom is to eat, finish the Sunday paper and head to a nap.

It's almost never exciting when the phone rings right after lunch and Cathy says it's for me. My brain screams for the release of a dream and my head wants to shake "no" when I put the communication gadget to my ear.

"Sam, this is someone you haven't spoken to in a long time." As I hear the words, the voice is already sounding familiar. It belongs to a man who used to attend our church many years ago. I haven't actually seen him since my grown kids were in high school. We have spoken on the phone a few times since then. Each of those occurrences left me thinking that the man is buried in his problems and will probably never get better.

"Hi," I reply, "how can I help you?" I know my voice is tense. I don't want to be bothered and I'm sure he can tell. I feel guilty, but it is inconvenient. (I'd rather not admit that attitude.) Besides, the last time or two we talked, I'm not even sure the guy was sober.

"I'm actually getting my life together," he said. "I am being treated for PTSD because of Viet Nam and I'm better than I have been in many, many years. I have been giving it some thought and I can think of two people right now that I need to reconcile with. You're one of them."

A voice from the past. I relax, grateful for this turn in the conversation. I tell him truthfully that he owes me no apology. I invite him back to church because he says he has tried a few and wants to attend again. He seems relieved, promises to see me and says goodbye.

I have had to make many similar calls over the years. They have left me feeling joyful and relieved. I hope it did the same for him.

7 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

What a great story. And did he come back?

Chris said...

That was a great story Sam!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Liz and Chris. Liz, he hasn't returned yet. During that conversation he told me that he needed to make a similar call to a mutual friend. He made the call.

I don't know if he will be back, but I have hope that he is really getting his life together.

Sam

Dina said...

Great story! Life got away from me this week and I haven't had a chance to keep up with any blogs. I missed reading yours.

RMc said...

You'd think it was the Fourth of July...

Unknown said...

Okay RMc, do you tell them or do I? Most of these guys are so young, they never even heard of the sixties, much less sixties music!

Actually, the song "Saturday In The Park" was released by Chicago in 1972, so probably all my readers have heard of it.

Think about the 4th of July comes right from there. Thanks for making me hum it the rest of the day!

RMc said...

I knew when I read that line that the tune would be running through my head for awhile... So, I suppose I could say that you started it! Just wish it would stop now...