Wednesday, December 3, 2008

'Tis The Season

I'm sure you've noticed how "seasonal" we are in this culture. It used to be that we had four seasons, but now it seems like we experience a different one every few weeks. AND, if you follow the ad inserts in our Sunday paper, you'll know that EVERY ONE of them is the season for shopping!

Seasonal. That's what we are.

We just came through the season of...

Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, candied yams, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, hot rolls and butter, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple pie, cherry pie and (drum roll) WHIPPED CREAM! I almost forgot: Starbucks Pumpkin Spiced Lattes!!

We are about to enter the season of ham, more turkey, duck (duck goose), fruit salad, plum pudding, gingerbread, candy canes, eggnog, sweet potato casserole, pecan pie, apple pie, cherry pie, mince pie and whipped cream. I didn't almost forget: Starbucks Gingersnap Lattes!!

Then comes January. The season of Nordic Track and gym memberships. (Note to self: some of the best deals at yards sales are of almost new workout equipment.)

You and I have some choices to make. We can either forget about any kind of self discipline during this holiday or we can plan a way to navigate the season with minimum waistline damage.

Don't get me wrong. I love food. I really love holiday food! What I don't love is the uphill battle after days upon days of stuffing myself. I'm fortunate, though. Cathy is the best accountability partner and encourager I could ever have. The eating results of this holiday season will be a lot easier for me to live with because of her.

What's your thought on this subject? To encourage your input, I'll give you a multiple choice way to respond. If you like, just comment below with A, B, or C.

A-I'll plan my holiday diet and stick to it (asking for help as needed).
B-This one isn't really a problem for me. I may splurge a bit, but only a little.
C-Mind your own business, Sam!

13 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

I'm somewhere between A and B.

Generally speaking, I don't limit my eating. Lots of reasons for that. But if I am hungry, I eat. Especially as a nursig mom.

But I am overweight.

Back in July, a friend and I joined a gym. And it has stuck so far.

So my plan is to feel far less guilty about cookies and fudge if I get some extra exercise in (marching in place and doing crunches and squats in front of the TV at night helps a lot).

beckiwithani said...

I'm B, and I always try to remember how fortunate I am to have a body chemistry that does not lead me to have many struggles with food.

Any time I've gotten a few pounds heavier than my norm (never close to an overweight BMI - again, blessed by body chemistry), I just haven't had trouble changing my habits and getting healthy again. I think it helps that I like healthy food, and while I enjoy a Thanksgiving-style pigout weekend once in a blue moon, it makes me feel yucky enough afterwards to keep me honest for a long time.

When Beth had her prompt on TOMW that asked people to write what type of eater they are (what "-ivore" are you?), I said something like moderativore. I exercise a lot of moderation, so don't feel bad about occasional splurges.

I like to think that, in addition to lucky body chemistry, you and Mom (Mom especially!) have inspired the whole family to eat better. Now Mom and I trade whole-grain and vegetarian recipes. Thank you!

C. Beth said...

B is probably closest. I've been overindulging more lately than I'm comfortable with so I'm wanting to consciously cut back now. But I think Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are made for feasting; just gotta watch myself in between the feasts!

Tia said...

I have been a follower for awhile now. I read Beth's blog as I have a daughter just a few months younger. I love your blog! I would have to say I am closest to B these days thank goodness. I am not above a good piece of pie or a gingerbread latte, but am very good at making up for it. Life is too short to miss the good stuff though! Happy Holidays!

Tony Escarzaga said...

I'm a D. I don't plan much of anything but as the time comes, I eat in moderation. I made it through Thanksgiving on one helping so that's pretty much where I'll stay. Maybe that is a plan. NOOOOOOO!!!!

Chris said...

Eat now, work later. Man, you had me at sweet potato casserole. Yum!

Isabella said...

B

My usual Thanksgiving pigout session was drastically cut down this year - due to having a 7 1/2 month old trying to grab at everything and anything. What a great diet plan! :)

Strange Mamma said...

Never mind the holidays, I've been stress eating my way through the last month and a half! My only saving grace is that we're not going to have a car right away when we get to the UK so I'll be doing a lot of walking. That and Jeff and I have decided that a gym membership and keeping each other accountable when it comes to actually using it has to be a priority, not just something we talk about doing for another two years. My little man is going to be wal...I mean running soon and I have to be able to keep up with him.

Penny said...

One of our favorite traditions, especially when our 3 girls were little, was to set up the Nativity but leave the manger empty. All season our girls would ask us,"Where is Jesus?" and we would tell them every time, "He hasn't come yet!" Then on Christmas morning, they would all peek into the Nativity to see Christ in his manger. "He came, He came!!"

Unknown said...

I am a definite "A". have a great rest of the week!!

Unknown said...

Thank you ALL for your comments. I appreciate your candid remarks and your humility. Tia, thanks for your encouragement. Liz, keep it up -- one step at a time. Tony, you remind me of our son. He ALWAYS chose an option we didn't give him! Penny, thank you for telling your story.

I'm not mentioning all of them, but I've learned much from each of your thoughts today. Thanks!

C. Beth said...

Penny--What a great, fun tradition! Thanks for sharing it!

Scriptor Senex said...

Having been a founder member of skinny lib and, fortunately remaining that way, i won't comment on the splurging but your posting has given me an idea for a blog posting myself - how about listing all the 'seasons' through the year. Definitely scope for a blog there.