Sunday, December 7, 2008

O Little Town...

It only made sense. I mean, what was a hungry 17-year-old to do?

So I did it. Repeatedly! On most of those early mornings -- often stopping once or twice on the way into town to re-scrape the frost off the windows -- I flew into the radio station barely in time to "act awake" for the morning show.

Our upbeat, "middle of the road" breakfast format lent itself to what I wanted to do. You see, I was starved! And La Fiesta Bakery was just across the street. And the donuts were hot out of the oven about a half hour after I arrived at work.

And, did I mention I was hungry? Soooo, my morning routine included an LP on the turntable at that certain time. Then a mad dash across the street. Then that heavenly aroma. Finally, the fresh cup of coffee and 3 (count 'em: three!) piping hot glazed donuts.

Breakfast of champions!

When it came to atmosphere, La Fiesta wasn't much. Located in a rundown old (adobe?) building, It might have had a small counter area with a few stools for customers. It wasn't the kind of place where you'd go, plug in your computer and sit around for a couple of hours to the sounds of smooth jazz. Even the smell of fresh bread, cookies, cakes, donuts, pies -- are you salivating? -- couldn't cause a desire to just park yourself there.

Today is the second Sunday of Advent. The story is about Bethlehem. The theme is humility. Literally, the name "Bethlehem" means "House of Bread." To you and me, that sounds like "bakery."

Jesus was the King born in a bakery. Even then, He arrived in places considered insignificant.

That gives me hope.

How about you?

4 comments:

Chris said...

Man, I've got make sure not to read your posts first thing in the morning. I love donuts. Doc says no more donuts, but I love em. Great Post!

Sandra said...

I have heard a clever use of the bakery meaning for Bethlehem in comparison to Jesus' life. Maybe about rising? I just can't remember.

But, it's nice to think that Jesus may have sometimes stood in the door of a house where bread was baking and enjoyed the aroma, just like we do! I like the idea of "sharing" that experience with Him.

Do you suppose we might smell that aroma in Heaven, when we are preparing to break bread with Him?

Unknown said...

You know, Sandra, I love your question. My opinion is that our five senses are just the beginning of what we will experience in heaven. I don't think, though, that we will experience any of the bad things that come through them.

Dina said...

I love learning new things. I can't believe that I've never heard what the word Bethlehem means before. Oh, and I'm hungry for donuts now too. Thanks for that.

I think the insignificant place where Jesus was born magnifies the significant hope that we can all have knowing that Jesus came to save everyone - no matter our significance in this world. We have only to believe. Simply the best Christmas gift anyone could receive.