Monday, February 16, 2009

Old Friends

Paul Simon wrote...

Can you imagine us
Years from today,
Sharing a park bench quietly?
How terribly strange
To be seventy.
Old friends,
Memory brushes the same years
Silently sharing the same fears


Two thoughts squeeze my brain today. First, I am aware that I graduated from High School 40 years ago this spring. It has been 40 years since that wild, wacky year of my life that has left indelible memories.

Second, I just wrote a letter -- an email actually -- to an old friend. Not just an old friend. The best man at my wedding. The guy I played with, worked with, laughed with, joked with and enjoyed life with for a big part of my "kid years." The guy I lost touch with about 30 years ago.

We just went different ways.

Then he wasn't really connected to the various places I searched for people on the internet. Then he missed a huge "All 60s Classes Reunion" at our small High School. And that was 9 years ago.

But I found his sister recently on Facebook. We re-established contact and she sent me his email address. I wrote him.

I hope he answers.

Life runs a hundred miles an hour. On slow days. Try not to lose touch with Old Friends. Keep up with them while you can.

The third guy in our circle of friends was murdered when we were in our twenties.

5 comments:

Rachel Cotterill said...

It's a great advantage of the internet that it shrinks the distances between people. I hope he replies to your email.

C. Beth said...

I was shocked the other day to realize that in a few months it will be 10 years since I graduated from college. You know, 10...that number that is suddenly big enough to type as digits instead of spelling it out. Very weird.

And I am so glad that a little over a year ago I got back in touch with my first college roommate. She and I have been building such a sweet relationship via e-mail. I love that our lives have had so much happen, but we have been able to pick up not just where we left off, but at a place of greater honesty and greater maturity.

Dina said...

I wish there was time to keep up with all of my old friends the way I'd like to. I've come to realize that each friend - old or new - plays an important role in my life. And although someone's role may seem smaller at any given time, because we don't get to see each other or talk as much, their impact on my life is no less important. Facebook has been awesome for keeping in touch with short notes and being able to watch families grow through pictures.

Sam, I'm sorry to hear about your friend that was murdered. I would imagine that had a profound effect on your life and memories of that circle of friends.

SandyaS said...

Sam.. great to know that you got in touch with your old friend. Its been 13 years since i left my school and know wat??? .. I got in touch with my best friend of those times 2 weeks back. It was a nice experience for both of us, getting to know about all that we had missed out on each other for all these years. So I can imagine how it would be for u to drift back to those old memories. :) :D Enjoy!!

Unknown said...

Sandya: Thank you! It's good to hear from you! My old friend and I are now in touch and emailing back and forth. I am grateful. Sam