Friday, January 30, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened

I'm a pastor. I work at a church. I've heard about every priest/rabbi/pastor joke in existence. I have laughed at various stories -- some real and some fictitious -- about stuff which happened at church. But I had never heard this one!

I was sitting in a meeting with four of our leaders at lunch yesterday. We were getting acquainted because some of them didn't know everyone that well. One guy, a retired military man who moved here from another state, told us about an experience in a former church.

He said that, when the church was somewhat small, they needed new carpet for their sanctuary. Choosing the color became a huge argument between different members who had varying opinions about a color scheme.

During that era, the small city where he lived had a network of giant butane tanks, along with underground lines which took the fuel to buildings. A large energy company came into their city with natural gas and routed it though the existing channels. They didn't realize that some of the gas was pooling underground.

Until it blew up.

Right under the church building.

He said hymnbooks were found on the other side of town (which gives new meaning to "I'll Fly Away"). The building was obliterated.

I guess it stopped the controversy over carpet color!

3 comments:

Rachel Cotterill said...

Wow, that's quite a story! :)

RMc said...

Love it when a plan comes together!!!! You think I could use that excuse???

Unknown said...

Yes, you can use the excuse, RMc. Just don't light the match. Sam