Monday, December 8, 2008

Angels We Have Heard

My friend Marty was with the angels this weekend.

You see, the Hells Angels came to town on a charity ride. That's right. Charity. They came to support an organization that helps seriously ill children. I already know what some of you are thinking, so read on.

Marty is a manager at the local Harley dealer. He's also a serious follower of Jesus Christ. For both reasons, he involved himself in this event.

And he caught heat. More heat than you get from motorcycle exhaust. You see, other Christian bikers thought that Marty shouldn't be hanging around with Hells Angels. Not even for a charity event.

Not even to tell them whenever he could how he used to be. Until Jesus changed his life. Reminds me of something that happened a long time ago...

16 But when the teachers of religious law who were Pharisees saw him eating with tax collectors and other sinners, they asked his disciples, “Why does he eat with such scum?”
17 When Jesus heard this, he told them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.” (Mark 2:16-17 NLT)

Confession time. Most of my adult life, I would have been more comfortable among Marty's critics than with Marty and the angels. I'm changing, though. I don't condone the Hells Angels lifestyle. But I'm convinced that Jesus would have had no problem spending time with them this weekend.

How do you see it?

4 comments:

C. Beth said...

Wow. I agree with you, Dad, and couldn't say it better.

Dina said...

I absolutely agree. Your story reminded me of when I was young and there was a rumor that the Hell's Angels would be riding through our town. I remember staying in our house that night with all the doors securely locked afraid of what might happen - as if they were going to randomly ransack houses or something. My mom liked to overreact and I wasn't old enough to realize this yet. For several years I thought that any rough looking biker in black must be evil. However, one summer I worked with a biker who did maintenance and odd jobs at the hotel/restaurant I worked at. He had the most giving, gentlest heart once you got to know him. I didn't necessarily agree with everything about his lifestyle, but I also know that his heart was open and that's all the Holy Spirit needs to turn a heart towards God.

Unknown said...

Hey Dina, Thanks for such a great story. I'm touched by it because I know similar people -- including some who attend my church. On their Harleys.

Sandra said...

It is so easy for Christians to forget that we can't have an impact on non-Christians if we are never around them!