Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Folly of Comparison

I returned home from a two-day offsite meeting with our staff last week. Upon arrival, I found Cathy organizing something in our bedroom. To make a long story short, she was switching our stuff around from one side of our bedstead shelves to the other. We experimented with changing the side we each sleep on and decided to make it "permanent." That meant that her "stuff" was on my side of the bed and vice versa. She didn't ask for my help -- she just did it.

A little later, I discovered that she had beautifully organized the shelves on my new side. She even switched drawers around to place them correctly.

I'm organized, too. My socks are in a sock drawer. That's because nothing else can be stuffed in there. But I'll never be organized like Cathy.

So I quit trying. Actually, I shouldn't be organized like her. If we were both like that, we'd drive each other crazy! She has a systematic approach to life that I have learned and benefited from. Consequently, I'm more organized that I could have imagined when I was younger.

Do you have anyone like that in your life?

3 comments:

CHEWBARKA said...

This only works when the less organized person is willing to let the organized person be organized without feeling like he/she is being told they aren't good enough. Even organization can be to extreme and overbearing. There is a happy medium in your household. That's a good thing.

Scott said...

I think God created life to be about balance including marriage. I live with an organizer. I fly by the seat of my pants. But through the years we have learned alot about each others talents. Now I am a little more organized and she is a little more relaxed. We've balanced each other out. A wonderful, painful gift from God!

Rachel Cotterill said...

I'm definitely the organised one in most-if-not-all of my relationships. I don't think it's because I'm inherently more organised, though, so much as I'm the "just do it" person who will get on and sort stuff out as soon as I notice it needs doing... whether that's physically sorting through stuff or booking a coffee date with a friend.