Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Second Seventh

I am writing this on Saturday, my "day off." I was up late last night and slept late this morning. Here it is, almost noon, and I've pretty much been goofing around. Anyway, I ran onto the following item on LifeHacker and thought I would pass it along to you. With the holidays fast approaching, it might save us all a few dollars.

FreeShipping.org is one of those URLs that you could imagine turning into a veritable spam factory, but it thankfully hosts a roundup of free shipping coupons found for more than 600 stores. If you think you can do better, or your online merchant isn't covered, also check with Free Shipping On, which sometimes hosts different versions of similar coupons. If you're buying from Amazon, though, and you're just a few bucks short of hitting your free shipping target, try the Amazon Filler Item Finder, which takes in a dollar amount and shoots back hopefully useful plug-ins to save money and get you more gear.

On a very personal note, I talked to an old friend Friday and he has moved to New Braunfels, TX. That means he is only an hour away from my Austin grandkids. Friday night at the Family Fall Festival, I met a lady who lives in Boston and she was going home today. That puts her very close to the Boston granddaughter. Cathy and I love our webcam and the joy we get from talking to those "best grandchildren in the world" on a regular basis.

But it's hard not to be jealous when others are so close and we're so far away.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In our son's early days in the Marines (20+ yrs. ago) he was regularly stationed on ships on the other side of the world. I remember the feeling of total separation from him; he was sooo far away and writing letters was very frustrating -- they passed in the mail. No real communication except for the occasional verrry expensive phone call.

Fast forward through his marriage, children and many years of being stationed stateside, except for brief overseas assignments, and he was suddenly ordered to Japan for a year alone.

Technology to the rescue this time! We bought the webcams (pretty new, but surprisingly inexpensive technology 10 years ago) for him, his family, his sister and us. What a God-send that connection was! I will always have a special place in my heart for webcams that kept us all so much closer during that year.

BTW, he's retired now. No more overseas assignments! Yea!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Unfortunate when a comment is almost as long as the post. Sorry. :)

Unknown said...

You know, after thinking about it, I don't really have much to complain about. You're right -- what a great use of technology. Thanks, as always!

C. Beth said...

There are a LOT of houses in our neighborhood for sale. ;)

I miss you guys so much!

Thanks for the great link.

Redhead said...

I know how you feel, being the kid who moved away and left all my family on the other side of the country. My parents never made me feel guilty about that, they were glad I was independent and living my life. But I do miss them all more and more. Like C. Beth, I'm alway hinting to my dad for when is he going to retire and move nearby!