Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Piece of the Rock

Marrying and burying. It's so much a part of my life that, in my first months as a pastor, I had to buy a dark suit for a wedding. From then on, it was called my marrying and burying suit.

We were talking about performing weddings and funerals one day when a minister friend of mine said he preferred to do the latter. I asked him why. "Most of the weddings I have performed haven't lasted," he said, "but the funerals: no problem!" Groan.

I'm performing a memorial service today for a man who really invested his life in his family. In fact, I so enjoyed talking with them about him that I didn't want to leave. It's pretty powerful to have an eleven-year-old grandson tell you that the thing he loved was having talks with is "Poppa" while taking walks in the desert.

"He loved to celebrate the special times together as a family!" What a legacy.

On this Saturday, I hope you can create a memory or two for your family. In the meantime...

I'll "see" you tomorrow right here.

No comments: