Friday, May 21, 2010

For Me, This Day Is Significant!

These days, I often write out my prayers. They are highly personal, just between me and God. Today, though, here is part of what I wrote...

Father, this is my mom’s 84th birthday. I can’t find enough or adequate words to thank You for her being my mother. She is indeed rare. She gave herself to care for her family. She couldn’t imagine anything other than raising her kids and praying for them to know and love You. She lost Cabby* and still found hope. She took in foster kids and loved them, knowing that she would influence them only temporarily. She accepted Refugio** like a son, though she couldn’t speak his language. In short, she has continually poured out her life to love others. Thank You for her example.

* Cabby (Carol Beth) was my sister who was 4 1/2 years younger than me. She died at age 20 because of a heart infection.

** Refugio first came to work for my dad when he was age seventeen. He was the sole support of a younger brother and sister back in Mexico. He lived on my parents' property, ate his meals with our family (adding Jalapenos to almost everything!) and was like a brother to us.

At 84, mom still goes out of her way to care for people who need help. She listens, laughs, cries, prays and gives to meet others' needs.

Happy Birthday, Mom!

3 comments:

C. Beth said...

What an honoring post!!

Rachel Cotterill said...

That sounds like a great example for us all to follow.

Anonymous said...

I hope your mother had a wonderful birthday. I'm pretty sure she thanks God for you and your family too. Perfect how that works, isn't it -- a blessing and also blessed.