Monday, September 28, 2009

They Know Where I Live, Part 2

Yesterday I told about the difficulty of remaining anonymous in a medium-sized city. The other side to the story can be described by our experience recently as we sat on a commuter plane, waiting to depart Phoenix for Yuma. We were some of the first ones on the small craft.

"We haven't seen anyone we recognize yet," Cathy said. She obviously remembered the young female soldier we had greeted at the gate on the outbound portion of the trip.

"No, but we still may," I replied. We watched the faces as various people boarded.

Finally, after the door was closed, Cathy said, "The flight attendant looks familiar to me."

Such is life in our corner of the globe. We constantly see people we know when we're out and about. On the other hand, there are people we have known for years -- people who, like us, live here year around -- that we almost never see in town.

Oops. "Hey, how's it going!"

Cathy (as we walk away): "Who is that?"

Me (smile-on-face-talking-between-teeth): "I have no idea. But I met them somewhere."

1 comment:

Ranelle said...

I can just see the two of you having that conversation. Thank you for making me smile this early morning hour!