Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It Smells Like Heaven

It's my senior year in high school. I take advantage of some of my flex time and walk into the cafeteria. It's about 10:30 in the morning and the first lunch hour doesn't begin for an hour. The tables are empty. The sounds of clattering utensils are coming from the kitchen.

And then, I'm captured! The invisible tentacles crawl under the doorway from the kitchen and rush across the floor to climb up my legs, then around my mid-section and -- ultimately - into my head. The aroma almost takes my breath away, even though it is the same one I smell every day at school.

The source? Some of the best homemade dinner rolls you ever tasted. The cook? My Aunt Betty!

Every day for years, Aunt Betty arrived at work before daylight to lead her small team of cooks in our high school cafeteria. Her fresh rolls were legend!

And, every once in a while, she would slip me one before lunch hour.

Shhhh! Don't tell a soul!

No comments: