Thursday, July 30, 2009

It's A Lot Like Life

My friend Kelly and I run up the same hill almost every time we run. For those of you live in hilly terrain, you need to know that most things around here are pretty flat.

That hill is fairly steep, but not that long. Virtually every time i run it, I can feel my oxygen depletion the last 10 meters or so. Then I reach the top, regain my wind within a few strides, and keep going.

The facts I just shared with you were part of an interesting conversation yesterday. How do you know it's time to press your limits and how do you know when its time to stop and rest?

One extreme can be pure laziness and the other could ultimately lead to life or death.

The easy answer (I think) is that there's no easy answer!

So, reader, how do you figure it out in your life?

5 comments:

CHEWBARKA said...

I think it has to do with "NEED" and importance. You do what you HAVE to do when it's necessary. We can push ourselves to the "limit", but when it's necessary, the limit gets extended. ie: I can't swim but if my child were drowning, I'd jump in to save him...

C. Beth said...

That's a tough one. When I'm rested enough I CAN push my limits and still be happy. When I'm not rested enough I can't even do the minimum happily.

Dusty said...

I think that sometimes you do not have a choice but to push yourself. It something that might be ingrained in you.

Unknown said...

Well said, each of you. I like the facets you have all brought out. Welcome aboard, Dusty!

Gina said...

Motivation. I find that there are days when it doesn't matter how I feel I will push myself further than maybe I should because I have found a reason to do so...when other days the 'lazy' side reigns because I can't find a reason within myself (motivation) to push myself at all.