Friday, July 17, 2009

Don't You Wonder Why?

Maybe you do. Maybe you don't.

But do you wonder why I started this blog and what it's about? (Sometimes I wonder the latter.) It all started one evening in our Small Group from church. I asked the question, "What would you do if you had unlimited resources?" We had some great answers and, suddenly, my group acted normal! You see, it's normal for the group to turn the tables on me. They tease me, they give me a hard time, they ask puzzling questions, and -- most normal of all -- on that night, they asked, "What would you do, Sam?"

"I would start writing," I said without hesitation. "It's something I have been thinking about."

After the formal part of our time was over, two guys that I respect very much said, "If you would start writing your observations on life, we would read them."

A short time later, "Dwell and Cultivate" was born.

Vertically, I'm a follower of Jesus Christ. Horizontally, I'm Cathy's husband, dad of three (plus a few of my younger friends whom I have sort of accepted like my own kids), Sampa of three more, and pastor of a great church. Along with that, I get the occasional privilege to mentor some younger pastors and leaders. I describe all these roles because this blog is just about as focused as my life is.

I'm like the mafioso who, when asked what he does for a living, replies, "A little bit a dis; a little bit a dat."

But, no, I don't take out contracts on people.

3 comments:

CHEWBARKA said...

Interesting. I wondered how you got started with this and "if there is a 'point' to it"...
I love reading it everyday.

Scriptor Senex said...

I'm not sure blogs have to have a 'point' as such. I think that often they are simply a release for our thoughts or a way of clarifying them in our mind as much as an attempt to communicate them to others. If others benefit - as we know they do from yours - that's a bonus!

Unknown said...

Chewie, I love the way you describe your view of things.

Scriptor, I am, as usual, the grateful recipient of your wisdom. Thanks for stopping by!