Wednesday, June 24, 2009

BYOG

Details.

Deadlines.

Decisions.

It seems that my life is consumed with these right now. In fact, many elements of those 3 "Ds" spill over into our Elder Meetings.

Consequently the request in our last meeting: "Is all this written down somewhere?"

I answered, "Some parts are written, but not all of it. I live with it every day and carry much of it in my head."

"Then, could you please put in a written form where we can see the parallel timelines and know where we are on each of them?"

As he asked that last question, I sank lower in my chair. He was asking for written project management. When I explained that what he wanted was a tool that none of our three pastors have in our toolbox, he said, "I will be glad to meet with you and help put it together. I would welcome the help of one of the other Elders who also works with this type of thing every day." Another name was mentioned and he readily agreed.

We met yesterday -- two Elders and three Pastors. One of the Elders was at a whiteboard and the other charting it on a computer. I couldn't believe how much we got done in less than an hour!

That's what happens when everyone practices BYOG (Bring Your Own Gift).

3 comments:

CHEWBARKA said...

It's so great to watch a "master" at work - in whatever 'field' it's in. They make it look so easy. Aren't we glad we have them in our lives.

Scott said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Thanks to you both. I'm grateful to God to the opportunity to live stories like this!