Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Name Your Poison

On Sunday, I told our church that Jesus talked about two different different money attitudes that can keep us from experiencing God's very best in our lives. Here they are...

"...be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions." (Luke 12:15 NASB)

And the second one is found just a few verses later...
“...don’t worry about the food you need to live, or about the clothes you need for your body. (Luke 12:22 NCV)

I find it fascinating that Jesus seemed to describe those warring emotions as potential robbers that can take away our joy and our peace.

Greed.

Worry, or (simply) insecurity.

Would you do me a favor? Which of these do you struggle with the most? And, if you are married, ask your spouse the same question. I asked the question on Monday night in our Small Group and was fascinated by the answers.

By the way, I struggle more with greed.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Finally figured out how to read your blogs. Thanks for your insights Sam.

Eternal Lizdom said...

Worry.

I've shared a bit about my past in the comments here, Sam. My worry can get the best of me if I let it. I do a pretty good job of keeping my trust in God to take care of us. But there are times when things just seem to trigger fears, worries, concerns. And those are times I have to remember to take it to Him, to trust Him. There are some strong connections to my childhood... some things I've done in my home to "guarantee" that my kids won't ever be able to go to a cabinet or pantry or fridge and see it bare. It's real struggle- especially having grown up in a home where food and clothing and shelter was a constant struggle. A constant living worry.

Rachel Cotterill said...

I'm definitely a worrier, but I worry about losing people, not ''stuff''. I like to believe that's the right way round.

Isabella said...

I'm sending this to my husband as we speak. :)

Worry is the biggest struggle for us. We KNOW not to worry and trust God...but some days it is so hard not to do, especially when you are looking at a lot of financial responsibilities (bills, groceries, other living expenses) and not enough money to do it.

ShankRabbit said...

Like Isabella said...

Worry is the biggest struggle. From my standpoint, I just want Isabella and our child to have enough to not have to be concerned with which bills we'll pay for this week.

Unknown said...

Lulu, glad you found the place. Welcome!

Yes, Liz, your story has left an indelible imprint on me. Consequently, I'm moved to hear how growing up with so many difficulties affects your desire to make good decisions now. Thanks, as always, for sharing. ( I encourage all my readers to check out http://eternallizdom.blogspot.com/ and take advantage of of Liz's insights.)

Rachel C, what a great thought! Sounds like you!

Isabella and ShankRabbit, thank you both for sharing your lives with us. I'm certain that, during this difficult financial time, many couples can agree with you.