Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Communicate!

"Huh? What did you say?"

.........
"What did I tell you to do?" asked the mom.

"Pick up my toys," her son said hesitantly.

"What do you say back to me?" Mom was looking him straight in the eyes.

"I...er...uh...said that I would pick them up." He knew he was nailed.

"And did you pick them up?"

"Ummmm, no."

If only conversations in the family were always so simple. One way that Jesus helped people communicate with Him was by asking great questions. One of my favorites is, "What do you want me to do for you?" (Mark 10:51) There's something about the direct simplicity of the question that makes we think about it...often.

Cathy and I took a couple of days last week and drove over to San Diego. Mostly, we needed to communicate.

I'm glad we did it.

And you? How does your family communicate?

2 comments:

C. Beth said...

Communicating with a three-year-old is HARD. I try to stay calm. If I've stayed calm at least I've won one battle. But that's part of the frustration these days--a lot of our communication feels like a battle, even if I don't lose my temper.

Anonymous said...

I was born a communicator, and 44 years of marriage to a communicator, and other life experiences, like politics, have made Hubby a communicator, so we c.o.m.m.u.n.i.c.a.t.e!!

A friend of Hubby's told him one time that when his wife got mad at him, she sometimes wouldn't talk to him for days.

Hubby told his friend not to knock a good thing. That when HIS wife got mad at HIM, she never STOPPED talking! Ha-ha, Hubby. :)