Friday, May 22, 2009

40

"People from Galilee, why are you standing here? Jesus has been taken to heaven. But he will return someday in just the way that he left!"

Those words, spoken by angels, marked a transition in history. Jesus arose and appeared among them at various times and places for 40 days. His ascension set the scene for the age in which you and I live.

"I waited patiently for the Lord,
He inclined and heard my cry
He brought me up out of the pit
Out of the miry clay.

He set my feet upon a rock
And made my footsteps firm
Many will see
Many will see and fear

I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song

(from "40" by U2)


U2 took that famous song from Psalm 40. King David, the great songwriter and ancestor of Jesus Christ, wrote of the confidence that comes from waiting patiently for God to hear and answer. I wonder if it's by heaven's design that this just happens to be Psalm 40, rather than, say, Psalm 28 (or any other Psalm). There is something fascinating about the number 40.

The ancient earth was a mess and God literally gave it a fresh start. How? It rained 40 days and nights.

God's people had been held captive in Egypt so God sent Moses to lead them out. They weren't really ready to trust in God for victory in the Promised Land, so what did God do? He left them in the wilderness for 40 years. Before that, they had been a people, but after that 40 years they became a nation.

Jesus paid the price of our sins on the cross, then rose from the dead. He kept appearing for 40 days. His ascension ushered in this age.

"He has given me a new song to sing,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see what he has done and be amazed.
They will put their trust in the Lord."
(Psalm 40:3 New Living Translation)

No comments: