Sunday, March 1, 2009

When I Grow Up...

...I want to be a fireman...policeman...garbageman...brain surgeon...

A friend of mine recently asked me for input. He has a truly rare decision to make, given our shaky economy. He has a job in which he is growing and valued. He is reasonably secure in this current position and the only thing that might change this is the current economic instability. What his current job can't do is pay him any more than they currently pay. He understood that reality when he sought the current job a couple of years ago.

Out of the blue, he was asked to consider another job somewhere else. It is in a field where he has some extensive experience. That job should be at least as secure as his current one. AND it pays significantly more.

"Do you have any advice for me as I consider my options?" he asked.

"I can't give you an answer," I said, "but I can help you know what questions to ask as you make a decision."

Here are some of the types I questions I suggested...

1. What do you want to do? He applied for his current job because he wanted to do it. He has remarked numerous times about how glad he is to work there. Is he considering the new one because of money only or is it something he will want to do in the long run?

2. What are your responsibilities to your family? He has had two previous jobs that often took him away from his family. His current job doesn't demand much travel so he can be at home with his wife and kids at night.

3. How will each job impact your long-term goals for your life? I believe the people make decisions about "a living" and "a life." "A living" is how we pay our bills; "a life" is how we find significance. His current job has helped him greatly in the significance area. Will changing jobs affect that?

These are a few of the kinds of questions my friend is exploring. What questions would you ask?

3 comments:

C. Beth said...

I also like this question--Years from now, would you be more likely to regret taking the job or not taking the job?

Eternal Lizdom said...

When I was first gradutating from college, I had 2 job offers on the table. Similar field, similar jobs, vastly different agencies.

I turned to my pastor for guidance. I didn't know which way to turn, which to choose.

His advice? Pray. And then flip a coin. Heads take this one, tails take that one. If it comes up heads and I say "best 2 out of 3..." then I've got my answer! It was just a little way of getting to my gut, my instinct.

I never had to flip a coin. Just a prayer and quick meditation and I knew what my gut was telling me!

Unknown said...

Great question, Beth!

Liz, I read your comment out loud to Cathy as I howled with laughter. Thanks!