Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Industrial-Strength Drainage

When is the last time you were invited to spend the evening with friends and found yourself looking at your watch within 30 minutes after you got there...counting the minutes until you could politely leave! Let's face it. Part of our relational lives includes getting into social situations that drain us dry.

When is the last time you went somewhere for the evening and were shocked when you finally noticed how late it was? "I can't believe it's past midnight!" That part of you that gets constantly emptied got filled back up again!

I once saw these described as as energy-draining vs. energy-charging relationships. Too much of one can take away your joy of living. Too much of the other can spoil you and make you worthless.

So I ask myself: if you were to spend the evening at our house, how would you walk away?

Tomorrow we'll explore some ways to be charging stations.

In the meantime, which are you?

6 comments:

Rachel Cotterill said...

I have honestly never had an evening with friends which has been draining in that way (or where I've been wanting to leave). At parties, sometimes. But just visiting a couple of friends, never. I hope people feel the same about visiting us.

SandyaS said...

Its mainly when I end up in a group of relatives who keep discussing about other ppl's lives that I feel drained away. And when it comes to friends or colleagues with whose ideas I just dont match with, then again its like another never ending session for me.

But the time I spend with my close friends, family at home and with the ppl who talk sensible, valid information or a sensitive touching conversation, I would enjoy listening to them and being with them for how much ever time it takes.. :D

Eternal Lizdom said...

People get to go out? And socialize? With friends? Really? Where do I sign up?

Sandra said...

I find groups of people I don't know very well, draining because I feel like I have to be "on" and make them think I'm witty. I love being with family and friends who know me well, know my foibles, and know not to expect intelligent conversation from me after 9 p.m.!

Rachel Cotterill said...

Interesting reading others' comments, Sandra's in particular makes me want to add something to my own: maybe I don't experience draining social events because I'm not trying to impress anyone, or trying to be anyone other than 'just me'... I just don't do that. If people don't like me, that's ok, but then we probably won't spend much time together! :)

Isabella said...

@ Liz - LOL

* * * * *

I don't know which I am...I would hope I'm an "energy-charging" relationship. No one wants to be a drainer. :)

I've been in both before, but not too many "energy-draining" situations. My husband and I are the kind of people to make a good time out of any situation.