Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Dirty, Rotten Scoundrel!

That's what he was. Or not!

Something happened recently that stirred up a memory. A hard lesson. Hopefully well learned.

I was on the Board of a Christian organization. Accusations were made against the CEO, who was also a founder.

Immoral? No.

Illegal? No.

Incompetent? Maybe.

Some staff members were bending the ear of our Board Chairman. He called us together for an emergency meeting. Then another one. Then another.

I rolled up my "idealistic young man" sleeves and prepared to clean house. But which house were we supposed to clean? The Chairman was sure it was the CEO who needed straightening out. The more I listened, the less certain I became.

Leadership is a hard job. Done well, it requires someone to keep multiple tasks and personalities in balance. If I have learned one thing over the years, it is this: the leader must make decisions for the best of the organization.

AND not everyone gets their way all the time. Even those close to the leader.

It's a bad thing when a green Board Chairman allows people within the organization to do "end runs" around the CEO, then takes the leader to task. It took days of prayer, including some fasting, but I figured out that was our situation. Others on the Board made the same discovery.

The staff members ended up leaving. The Board Chairman resigned. The CEO stayed.

It was the right thing to do. And that ministry is still serving people.

3 comments:

C. Beth said...

Good post, Dad.

And I really like your new Twitter icon!

Chris said...

Well done Sam! Been awhile. How you been my brother?

Unknown said...

Thanks for asking, Chris. I'm going through a bit of a challenge right now. Actually, it's in one of our ministries and doesn't directly involve me. But I'm the pastor, so it does. I appreciate your prayers.

Sam