Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Show Me The Money

"I can't afford it," my friend said seriously. The guy was a successful dentist who is also a very careful money manager. "It" was the daily (extra large) soft drink his assistants each bought at a local convenience store. I knew what he was talking about.

Little things add up. Make sure you get the point...

Little things add up!

About that time, my teeth-drilling friend took his wife down to the local Ford dealer and paid cash for a new Expedition. Actually, they had to "borrow" some of the price and pay it back after a couple of months. Otherwise, the factory wouldn't have tacked on the incentive they gave to the dealer to help make sure the buyer used their in-house finance company. Strange, isn't it? The dealer could sell the truck cheaper if the buyer borrowed money. Hmmmm.

Where was I? Oh, yeah. This was the guy who "couldn't afford" a Big Gulp. In fact, he was amazed that his helpers paid out that money every day. He did a quick calculation of how much it was costing them per week and compared it to how much they made. It left him just shaking his head. $1.25 a day. $6.25 a week. Between $25 and $30 a month. Little things?

Our economic road signs read "Danger Ahead!" The little things that we haven't noticed are likely to become much more important. They add up.

Which ones do you need to notice?

6 comments:

C. Beth said...

We went to Target the other day, and I was picking up things here and there.... When I got to the register it added up. Later at home I remembered that we've been trying to cut back on unnecessary things, and I made a pile to be returned. It added up to $20. It was amazing to me how quickly I'd spent $20 just picking up things here and there!

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm glad you added it up! Not because I want you to save the money (even though I'm glad you did), but because it teaches the rest of us such an important lesson.

Thanks, Beth.

Dina said...

I have a bad habit of stopping for a latte every time I'm out and about, which is pretty much every single day. It's not even a caffeine addiction since I gave that up almost 10 years ago. I've been trying to limit myself to one or two lattes per week and just make coffee at home. C. Beth's comment on Target was so right on. I really have to put blinders on and stick to picking up the necessities when I'm there. All those bargains add up quickly. :)

Anonymous said...

Some of the most frugal people I know, are the ones who have the most money. I'm pretty sure that's not a coincidence.

Chris said...

My wife came up with a brilliant money saving technique. She decided that it was not longer necessary that I eat. I protested, but in the end she was absolutely right. We saved a fortune. Of course, I'm anemic now and weigh about 27 lbs., but we can finally afford toilet paper.

Seriously though, good post, practical advise. Thanks

Unknown said...

Dina, watch out! My guilt level about Starbucks went up two notches with your comment!

Sandra, do you have the spiritual gift of brevity? I sure don't.

Chris, welcome! If I need some comedy for sermons, can I contact you? I'm laughing my head off!