Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Magic Number

I was tagged by my daughter Beth to tell seven things about myself you might not know. (I talk for a living so some of you know way too much about me already!) Here goes...

1. My first love as a kid was music. I started playing clarinet in the band when I was in 6th grade. By my sophomore year in High School, I was Drum Major and Student Conductor. I even helped write halftime shows. My first three years in college, I majored in Music Ed. I picked up vocal music along with instrumental and my first ministry jobs included directing choir and congregational music.

2. During High School, I got my FCC license and started working as a disc jockey the summer before my senior year. That trade actually reappeared a couple of times to help me make some money while going to college.

3. When we first came to Yuma, our church was on television. The former radio background helped me a lot. Someone told me that one of the downfalls of preaching on TV is that you have to go a long way from home to sin. (That's supposed to be funny!) TV really proved to be ineffective for us and I'm glad we don't do it anymore. Blogs are more fun!

4. I have three great kids. Many of you know that. What you may not know is that they are all smart (like their mother), good-looking (like their mother), disciplined (like their mother), and at times a bit ornery (like someone else, but not their mother).

5. I grew up in Socorro, New Mexico. If you asked me if any famous people were born there, I would say, "No. Only babies." On the other hand, it's known as the hometown of Conrad Hilton of Hilton Hotels and, in the 50s or 60s, Disney did a series about a sheriff from there named Elfego Baca. He was a real person and I grew up knowing a member or two from his family.

6. I have the best grandkids on the planet. Just ask Cathy.

7. I want to be Kenny G or Tom Hanks when I grow up.

Beth was great to tag me, along with six other bloggers she knows. Therefore, since I'm a newbie at this stuff, Beth, will you please tag seven more for me?

5 comments:

beckiwithani said...

Do you think I could convince Paris Hilton we're related and get some of her fortune?

I don't think she spends it quite like her grandfather would've wanted...

C. Beth said...

Wow, I actually learned a lot of new things about you in this post, Dad!

No more tagging for me! I feel a little like I'm forwarding spam when I tag people on my blog anyway :) so I have no problem with you not continuing to tag.

Ox said...

Kenny G aint got nothin on you Dad!

Unknown said...

Becki, you might be related to Paris. But you're prettier!

Unknown said...

I LOVE IT! Blogs are more fun :)